Recognition

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Have a Wonderful Birthday - Stencil Monoprint




Hello and welcome!  I have 2 birthday cards for you using a new to me technique called Stencil Monoprint.  That's the challenge theme this month over at CAS Mix It Up and I wanted to give it a try.  Here's a list of supplies I used on my cards:

Tim Holtz Floral Stencil
Lindy's Magicals
Water Spray bottle
Watercolor paper
Hero Arts Wonderful Stamp & Cut
Scan n Cut
Distress Ink with sponger ink applicator
Black Nuvo drops
Black and white card stock
Cross-stitched circle dies



For the first card I placed the stencil down across the top of my watercolor paper and sprinkled on Lindy's Magicals, then sprayed away with my water mister.  After lifting the stencil, I put another piece of watercolor paper down on the stencil while it was still wet to have a panel to make my 2nd card.



Up close in the picture below you can see the shine from the magicals on some of it.  It's really very shiny in real life and so hard to capture in the photos.



For my 2nd card below, the image came out very weird looking so I took the stencil and laid it over the design and added lots of yellow Distress Ink on the flowers and green Distress Ink on the leaves.
I picked the best part of the floral design and cut it with a stitched circle die and then cut a mat for it out of black card stock.  I adhered it to the card base with the bottom hanging off and cut it off, then stamped the sentiment.



For the "wonderful",  I stamped the ouline stamp of the word, then cut it with a border with my Scan n Cut to give it a white edge.  Then on both cards, I popped the word up on foam tape for dimension.



I had a fun time learning this new technique.  It was a challenge and I have a number of really weird looking panels from attempting this new skill!  (Really weird ones!)  I don't think this one turned out so great, but I will keep working on this technique to see if I can improve.  I love a challenge!
Thanks so much for stopping by!



I will enter this in:
CAS Mix It Up August Challenge (+ is stitching, Nuvo)
Tuesday Throwdown Challenge #403
A Blog Named Hero Birthday Challenge
Always Happy Birthday August Challenge
Seize the Birthday Challenge

       

9 comments:

  1. Those stenciled designs are just amazing. I love both but the first one really caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird and wonderful on your second marvellous card. Such a unique and stunning first card and loving the magical colours you have used. What a great technique and sounds like you are really enjoying playing with it. So glad to see you in the gallery at The CAS Mix Up Challenge with your beautiful card x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Karen Bull, a design team member for A Blog Named Hero. These off center designs are wonderful and I really like the black detail around each image. Thank you for playing along in this month's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do save the weird (to you) samples too. You never know when they will be perfect for another project. I think Stencil Monoprint is such a fun and artsy technique and looks like you ended up with beautiful positive and negative pieces. Love your Magicals shimmer too. So pleased you played along with us Angie at CAS Mix Up. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must try this technique. The results are wonderful. Thanks for joining the challenge at Tuesday Throwdown. Debi DT TT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two gorgeous cards, Angie! I don't think either is weird! I think artsy is more like it! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the gorgeous print with your magicals Angie. The colours and shimmer are really magical!! :) Great stencil monoprint with your second card. Good idea to put the stencil back over top and add some colour to the flowers so they stand out. I have posted a card today showing dual prints and I used white embossing powder to add over the stencil monoprint. There are lots of options of what to add ... or leave it plain with just the background coloured. Trick to this technique is to flip the wet stencil onto your w/c card and then press and blot constantly with a paper towel or cloth to pick up any colour that oozes out from under the stencil. This will keep the design of the stencil area clean and give you a crisp image. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both so beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us at a Blog Named Hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful stencil and the colors you used made for two gorgeous cards Angie! Your stencil monoprint is so softly pretty and both look so lovely framed in the flatbottom circles! thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete